Monday, July 18, 2011

Putting Away 'childish things'

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11

Hear we are with another of Pastor's metaphors. On Sunday night,
 two weeks ago he had a small teddy bear sitting on the pulpit.
He was exclaiming on how people hold on to their sin for comfort as you would do a teddy bear.
He was saying how children have teddy bears for comfort and we need to put away childish things,
our teddy bears, our sins and become men/women of God.
He kept saying that we need to throw away, get rid of,
or put away these teddy bears in our lives in order to make heaven our home,
how can we go there still hanging on to our childish things.
I cannot give it justice to how Pastor preached this, it really and truly was meaningful.
When we got home, Julian slept with this on his mind. Yes, you got it...
the next morning he came to me and said he had packed up all his teddy bears and threw them away.
He was ready and willing to give up his teddy bears to make heaven his home =')
Of course I had to contain my composer and explain to him that Pastor didn't actually mean
'TEDDY BEARS'
but that he was referring to sin... after awhile,
Julian retrieved his teddy bears from the garbage.

Julian was so willing to give up something so precious to him,
he loved his teddy bears. He was so intent to do as his Pastor said and get rid of the teddy bears because he really wants to make heaven his home and be with Jesus...
What a lesson to learn from this child about putting away childish things.

I have to admit, I was completely humbled by this child's actions, let alone his thinking!
What is it in my life that I continue to hold onto for comfort.
What heavy sin is weighing me down that may prevent me to make it
to that glorious place called heaven?
I really had to question myself and search deep within my heart;
"Search me, O God, and know my heart"
Try me, and know my anxieties;
And see if there is any wicked way in me,
And lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

but in all reality, I didn't really have far to look.
How many of us try to justify our sinful comforts;
our anger, pride, selfishness, lust, unforgiveness... our teddy bears.
I believe that is why the Bible says we need to die daily and carry our cross.
For this alone, making it to heaven I will die daily and carry my cross.
As much as it may hurt me (physically or maybe hurt my pride).
I need to work on putting away childish things,
I need to get out of my comfort zone (rut)
and become a man.. er lol... a woman of God.
I have to make heaven my home.
I not only desire to see my wonderful Savior but I have a mother and a child
I have never seen waiting for me there...
There is no justifying here.. we need to all strive to make heaven our home.
Let us not be distracted to the things of God
or what really matters in our lives or persuad us other wise. 
'O God search our hearts that there be no wicked way in us,
lead us to your everlasting love' help us to
'put away childish things and become that man/woman you wish us to be!' 
*HALLELUJAH* 

No comments: